What To Do After A Motor Vehicle Accident


Call the Law Offices of Keri Trask Lazarus at 503-385-1894, or contact us through this online form to schedule a free initial consultation. We are licensed to practice law in Oregon, Washington, and the District of Oregon federal court. 

Se habla español.
At the Law Offices of Keri Trask Lazarus in Salem, we have more than 15 years of experience helping motor vehicle accident victims receive compensation for the costs and hardships brought on by their injuries. Over the years, we continue to receive questions about the correct actions to take after a motor vehicle accident. Here are our tips about what to do after a car accident:

Stop And Help

Always stop after an accident, even if you think the crash did not do any damage to your car. After a more serious accident, if you are able, help those who are more injured than yourself.

Notify Local Police And Emergency Responders

In the case of an accident with injuries or blocking traffic, call 911. For a minor accident, use the nonemergency number to call the police.

Trade Necessary Information

You will need to exchange some necessary information with the other party to the accident:

  • Name and address of all drivers and vehicle owners
  • Driver’s license number of the drivers involved
  • License plate numbers of the vehicles involved
  • Insurance companies and policy numbers for the vehicles/drivers involved

Gather Information About The Accident

Try to get the names and phone numbers of witnesses and take photos of the accident scene with your phone. There is no requirement that you talk to the other party’s insurance company representatives, their duty is to protect their own driver.

File Reports

In the state of Oregon, it is mandatory to file a report with the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) within 72 hours of your accident if one of these conditions applies:

  • Damage to any of the vehicles or property involved is $2,500 or more
  • The accident caused an injury or fatality
  • A car gets towed from the accident location

You will also need to report the accident to your local police department.

Contact A Lawyer

It is recommended to contact a lawyer to get advice regarding your rights after a car accident and to plan your next steps to seek compensation for your injuries and losses.

1455 Commercial St SE
Suite #100
Salem, OR 97302

Powered by Lindley Creative Studios